Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
City of Maize "Where Community Counts"


  • Maize Water Department

    p. (316) 722-7561

    P.O. Box 245
    10100 W Grady Ave.
    Maize, KS 67101

Water Service

For questions related to your water service please call

2021 Utility Rate Changes

Base rates for water and sewer are determined by meter size and usage is billed on a tiered system with annual increases. New ordinances will be effective January 1, 2021 with the following changes:


Sewer users pay a base rate based on water meter size as well as an additional rate per 1000 gallons of water used. Rates per 1000 gallons of water used are billed on a tiered rate structure with annual increases. The amount you are billed for sewer will be dependent upon the amount of water you use.

Sewer rates for 2021 are reflected in the table below:

3/4" METER 30.00
1" METER 60.00
1 1/2" 90.00
2" / < 3" METER 120.00
3" / < 4" METER 150.00
4" / < 6" METER 180.00
6" + 210.00
Multi Unit Commercial/per unit 30.00
Multi Story Residential/per unit 18.00
Extra Strength Fee 80.00
Heavy Commercial User Fee 120.00
0-4,999   per 1,000 1.65
5-50,999 gal per 1,000 1.90
51-250,999 per 1,000 2.15
251,000 + 2.65

Sewer Expansion Fee

Sewer users pay a sewer expansion fee base rate as well as an additional rate per 1000 gallons of water used. Sewer expansion fee base rates include the first 5000 gallons of water used. Rates per 1000 gallons of water used in excess of 5000 gallons are billed on a tiered rate structure. The amount you are billed for the sewer expansion fee will be dependent upon the amount of water you use.

Sewer Expansion Fee rates for 2021 are reflected in the table below:

0-5,999   per 1,000 0.00
6-15,999 gal per 1,000 0.10
16-75,999 per 1,000 0.15
76-175,999 per 1,000 0.20
176,000 + 0.25


 Annual water rate increases will be effective January 1, 2021.  Water users pay a base rate based on meter size as well as an additional rate per 1000 gallons of water used. Base rates include the first 2000 gallons of usage. Rates per 1000 gallons of water used in excess of 2000 gallons are billed on a tiered rate structure with annual increases. The amount you are billed for water will be dependent upon the amount of water you use.

Water rates for 2021 are reflected in the table below:

3/4" METER 26.50
1" METER 34.50
1 1/2" 42.50
2" / < 3" METER 51.50
3" / < 4" METER 61.50
4" / < 6" METER 71.50
6" + 81.50
0-2,999   per 1,000 0.00
3-5,999 gal per 1,000 5.16
6-70,999 per 1,000 8.07
71,000 + 5.41

Base rates for 2021 are reflected in the table below:

0 26.50 30.00 3.00 0.00 59.50
1000 26.50 31.65 3.00 0.03 61.18
2000 26.50 33.30 3.00  0.06 62.86
3000 31.66 34.95 3.00 0.10 69.71
4000 36.82 36.60 3.00 0.13 76.55
5000 41.98 38.50 3.00 0.16 83.64
6000 50.05 40.40 3.10 0.19 93.74
7000 58.12 42.30 3.20 0.22 103.84
8000 66.19 44.20 3.30 0.26 113.95
9000 74.26 46.10 3.40 0.29 124.05
10000 82.33 48.00 3.50 0.32 134.15

*Base rates for this table are calculated for a standard ¾” residential meter size

Water Quality in Maize

The 2022 City of Maize Water Quality Consumer Confidence Report is a snapshot of the quality of the water that we provided last year (2020). Included are the details about where your water comes from, what it contains, and how it compares to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state standards. We are committed to providing you with information because informed customers are our best allies. If you would like to observe the decision making process that affect drinking water quality, please call Matt Meeks at 721-1458.

Water Connections

The staff at the City of Maize would like to remind all Maize citizens to call and let us know anytime you are moving in or out of a residence within the city limits.  Notification will allow us to remove your name from the water utility, ensuring that all water usage gets charged to the correct person.

The Water Department is responsible for the connection and disconnection of water service, for maintenance and repair of water lines, water meters, water valves, and fire hydrants. The Water Department has an individual on call twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week. Requests for water repairs and maintenance or concerns about the water system should be reported to the City Hall during regular hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday).

The water meters for residents and businesses in Maize are read monthly during the last week of the month. The utility bills are mailed to the customer by the 5th of the following  month; this means that the most current water bill received by customers is for water used the previous month. The city utilizes a 500,000 gallon elevated water tower as it's primary water storage facility. No inspections or meter setting will be scheduled after 2:30 p.m. or on the weekends. Please call City Hall at 722-7561 for additional information. Once installation of the water line from the home to the water meter is complete, please inform City Hall at 722-7561 for City Inspection before backfilling.

How to Obtain Water for Your Home or Business

New Water Services

If you are new to the City of Maize, or changing your address in town, an application for water and sewer service is required and can be completed at Maize City Hall, 10100 Grady Avenue. Application for service requires that you come to City Hall, complete a Contract for Utility Service and provide a driver's license, social security number and a non-refundable connection fee of $50.00. If you are renting property, we will need a copy of your rental agreement also. All existing customers who are changing their address within the City, changing their name or changing their mailing address are required to complete a new Contract for Utility Service but can do so free of charge. Applications for the installation of new water meters (new construction, additional meter for a sprinkler system or upgrade of existing meter) can also be made at City Hall. For additional information on new water meters, such as location of meter or installation schedule, can also be made at City Hall. For additional information please call 722-7561.

Water/Sewer Service Fees:

Rates and connection fees for water and sewer can be found on the Home page under Government/City Code and Ordinances.


Water/sewer bills are mailed by the 5th of every month. You can receive your bill through e-mail by providing us with an e-mail address. If you have not received a bill by the 10th, please call City Hall at 722-7561.

Bills may be paid with the following options:

Mailed  to City of Maize - PO Box 245 - Maize, KS  67101

In Person at City Hall, 10100 Grady Avenue from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Drop Box located at the East end of the City Hall Parking lot and is drive-up accessible

Automatic Draft will automatically deduct the billing amount from your checking or savings account between the 18th and 20th of each month. If you are interested, contact us at 722-7561 for an ACH application form.

Water bills may also be paid online using your credit or debit card or in person at City Hall.  A convenience fee will be applied to credit card payments.


Utility bills are due on the 20th of each month. After the 20th of each month delinquent notices are sent to the customer and owner and a 5% late fee is assessed.  If full payment has not been received by 5:00 p.m. on the disconnect date, services will be terminated and a $50.00 non-payment fee will be assessed. To continue service, the balance must be paid  in full as well as the $50.00 non-payment fee. If you have any questions contact City Hall at 722-7561.

Avoiding Dangerous Cross-Connections

A cross-connection is a point in plumbing systems where drinking water might come in contact with and be contaminated by hazardous materials: solid, liquid, or gas. For instance, a hose placed in a bucket with non-potable water (such as soapy water, pool water, etc.) could contaminate drinking water if the pressure at the site of the hose is higher than the water pressure in the home's plumbing. Precautions should be taken to ensure that low water pressure in the home does not allow back-siphonage by suction of contaminated water into potable water lines.

Installing your own Water Service

  1. Schedule a pre-installation inspection of your home.
  2. Installation & connection of the service line from the home to the water meter must be a minimum of 36 inches deep. Scheduling of an inspection by the Sedgwick County Code Enforcement department to assure the plumbing has been installed to prevent cross connection and potential contamination of the City's Water Supply.
  3. Backflow prevention devices installed per ordinance.
  4. Cross connection eliminated.
  5. Inspection of the storm water sump plumbing by the City Maintenance Department or a licensed plumber. If any deficiencies are found re-inspection will be done within 30-days.
  6. Abandoned wells plugged per KDHE regulations and the necessary State forms completed.

Plumbers will be required to conduct the following:

  • Installation and connection of the service line from the home to the water meter.
  • Inspection of the storm water sump pump plumbing and report any deficiencies with re-inspection to take place within 30 days.
  • Backflow prevention devices installed per ordinance.
  • Abandoned wells plugged per KDHE regulations and the necessary State forms completed.
  • Cross connection eliminated.

Checking For Water Leaks in Your Home

If you have recently experienced an unusually high and unanticipated water bill, you may be losing water through a plumbing leak in your home. Water leaks can be deceptively wasteful and difficult to detect. Just a slow drip can add up to 15 to 20 gallons a day, while a 1/16-inch faucet leak wastes as much as one hundred gallons in just 24 hours! Time spent fixing a water leak will be well worth the effort in conservation and cost savings. The most notorious household fixture for wasting water and hiding leaks is in the bathroom. A toilet can waste hundreds of undetected gallons a day. Leaks from toilets occur when parts are worn or when the internal mechanisms are out of adjustment. Checking your toilet for leaks is wise when water bills creep up unexpectedly.

Most toilet leaks are at the overflow pipe or at the plunger ball. If it is at the overflow pipe, the water level is usually too high. To correct this problem, gently bend the float arm down so the valve shuts off water about a half-inch below the top of the overflow pipe. Less often, a leak develops below the water line or the fill valve becomes worn. Worn fill valves waste water the same as a dripping faucet. Consult a plumber if you are not an experienced do-it-yourselfer.

Plunger ball leaks are more difficult to detect than overflow pipe leaks. The best way to check a plunger ball is to add an ample amount of food coloring into the clear water tank and wait to see if the dye eventually appears in the toilet bowl. If it does, the plunger ball is probably leaking from either worn parts or a misaligned mechanism. A do-it-yourselfer should be able fix this problem.

Another possible cause for leaky toilets is irregular mineral deposits between the flapper and drain lip. This problem is easily solved by shutting off the water supply, flushing the toilet, sponging the tank dry and sanding off the drain lip mineral deposits with emery paper. Finally, check the flapper to ensure that it closes and seals the drain successfully.

The second most common cause of household leaks is worn washers in either valve-stem-and-washer or single lever type faucets. If any of these faucets drip after they've been turned off firmly, usually the washer is worn and needs to be replaced. This task involves shutting off the water supply, dismantling the faucet and making absolutely sure that the replacement washer is the right size. Usually, this is not difficult; however, some faucet designs do present a challenge. Consult your favorite hardware store or do-it-yourself book. If the faucet still leaks after you've replaced the washer, consult with a plumber.

When correcting faulty and leaking plumbing, it is important that your shutoff valves are properly located and in working order. Most sinks, wash basins, hot water heaters and toilets have their own shut-off valves; in addition, main residential shut-off valves are usually located where the main water line first enters the home and on the residential side of the water meter. Unfortunately, most showers and tubs do not have their own shut-off valves.

As a final point, water meters can be used as an efficient and effective detector of water leaks. This is done by turning off all the water in your home, noting the position of the water meter sweep hand and then rechecking it again after 15 minutes. Each revolution of the meter sweep hand is equivalent to 10 gallons. If the water meter reading hasn't changed, your home is relatively watertight. However, if it has increased, start checking hose connections, faucets, toilets and anywhere else where leaks could develop. Sometimes a curbside meter will also indicate a leak hidden underground. In such instances, call a plumber for advice.

If you have any concerns or questions about high water bills, water leaks or reading your meter, please contact the Maize City Hall at 722-7561.

City of Maize
Through the integration of its population into every aspect of quality education, civic improvements, community appearance, commerce and recreation, Maize shall preserve its small town atmosphere and become the best small city in Kansas.

"Where Community Counts"